Using Principles of Meta-cognition: to Accelerate Progress in Maths (based on EEF research)
Suitable For: Maths Co-ordinators, School Leaders and Class Teachers
Research by the EEF indicates that one of the most cost effective ways to raise standards is through the implementation of the principles of meta-cognition. This course links theory to practice exploring lots of practical activities that can be used to accelerate progress in Maths:
- Creating a whole school ethos that embraces the principles of metacognition in Maths lessons.
- Teaching pupils metacognitive strategies including how to plan monitor and evaluate their learning (linking to mathematical investigations).
- How teachers can model their own thinking to help pupils develop their metacognitive skills e.g. What do I know about problems like this? What ways of solving them have I used before?
- Setting an appropriate level of challenge in Maths to develop pupils’ metacognition.
- Promoting metacognitive talk in Maths lessons including peer and pupil – teacher talk. Developing pupils’ questioning (asking questions in class and pupil to pupil questioning).
- Supporting pupils to develop independent learning skills when tackling Maths problems.
Terms and Conditions:
Please click here to view a copy of our Terms and Conditions.